Posted on: March 6, 2009 8:54 am

Top 10: Gruesome Sports Injuries

Aha! Click here for more proof!

No.10 - John Terry

During the Carling Cup final between archrivals Chelsea and Arsenal, John Terry proved himself both brave and foolish. On a Chelsea corner kick, the ball crossed into the box and bounced in front of the net before Terry dropped his head in an attempt to head the ball in for a score. Unfortunately, for his face, Arsenal midfielder Abou Diaby was trying to clear the same ball with his boot. The result: The ball was cleared and Terry’s face was tattooed with shoe polish.

After lying unconscious on the field for several minutes with a face full of blood, Terry was carried off on a stretcher with a neck brace. Miraculously, he didn’t suffer a concussion or any broken bones.

No.9 - Dave Dravecky

In 1989, after having a cancerous tumor and half his deltoid muscle removed from his left throwing arm, Dave Dravecky made a triumphant return to baseball. In August 1989, Dravecky returned to Candlestick Park in San Francisco and won his first start, a 4-3 decision over the Cincinnati Reds.

A week later, however, Dravecky’s arm snapped in half while throwing a pitch in Montreal. The cancer had returned, and doctors were forced to amputate the full arm. In the years since his retirement, Dravecky has become a Christian motivational speaker , having realized that God’s plan for him was much greater than the game of baseball. We guess surviving gruesome sports injuries is one way to find God.

No.8 - Sid Vicious

On January 14, 2001, Sid Vicious, the punk rocker of the wrestling circuit, was the star of a World Championship Wrestling (WCW) main event. Prior to the match, Sid Vicious (aka Sycho Sid or Sid Justice) was talked into expanding his repertoire to include a few aerial maneuvers.

When it came time to climb the ropes, Sid jumped off the top turnbuckle and came down feetfirst in an attempt to land his right boot on his opponent’s chops. Sadly, his left foot hit the canvas at an awkward angle and cracked both his tibia and fibula. One of the bones involved in this gruesome sports injury pierced his skin and his shin was bent at a 90-degree angle.


.... and skipping to No.1:

No.1 - Clint Malarchuk

This is the one gruesome sports injury in which death seemed probable. Clint Malarchuk was a journeyman goaltender who had just been traded to the Buffalo Sabres and the St. Louis Blues were in town on March 22, 1989.

With the puck in the corner, St. Louis winger Steve Tuttle drove to the net with the Sabres’ defensemen Uwe Krupp giving chase. As the puck was centered, Krupp tackled and up-ended Tuttle, whose skate flew into the air and slit the jugular vein in Malarchuk’s throat.

After the net slid off its moorings, Malarchuk dropped to his knees and held on to his throat. Blood spurt between his fingers and formed a growing crimson pool on the white ice around the crease.

Although Malarchuk managed to stay conscious throughout this gruesome sports injury, nine spectators fainted, two suffered heart attacks and three players threw up on the ice. As Malarchuk fought off his desire to sleep, he prayed, asked if he was going to die, and told trainers to tell his mother he loves her. Four days later, with 300 stitches in his neck, Malarchuk returned to practice with the Sabres.

The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com